Monday, May 6, 2013

Retirement and my Childhood dream job

What do you want to be when you grow up?
From age 2 until about 19 my answer was always the same:

A Mom

From 19 until 29 I sort of thought this was never going to happen for me so I tried to brush this desire under the table. I felt like the wrong choices I'd made in my life made it so I would not end up with this blessing. I knew I'd be ok no matter what so eventually it became no big deal that I wasn't a mom. In  my mid to late 20's I was all about me and the fun I could have.  Then I became pregnant.  And I knew I was going to be a single mom.  But, Yay! I was going to be a mom!  A full time worker and a full time mom.  I was sad every day I dropped my baby off at daycare. I would always tell myself, I wish I could do that.   Patti, Cody's 1st daycare lady was so awesome. She had it all put together. She always seemed happy and her house was always clean!

When I was pregnant with Caden (at 34) I quit my corporate job and worked at a daycare for about 6 months. When he was born I started my own small in home daycare. I was so happy to be home with my boys. I was so excited that my husband and I were at a place where I didn't have to work out of the home. I seriously thought this was the closest I'd ever get to being a stay at home mom.  Having the extra kids around  was fun. It kept me organized.  Now, being with my kids in my home and getting to focus on them, I realize how blessed I truly am.






No comments: